Cannabidiol, better known as CBD, is a non-psychoactive compound found within the Cannabis Sativa plant. Over the years, several research papers have highlighted the benefits of cannabidiol. As a result, the market now features several products infused with these hemp extracts. Everything from bath bombs and skincare products to food items now contains cannabidiol. CBD gummies for anxiety and other such edibles have been gaining popularity in recent years due to their ease of access and convenience. Another edible that is taking the world by storm is CBD cakes, better known as space cakes! Have you ever thought of gifting your loved one a cake infused with cannabis for an anniversary? If not, read on to find out more about why such a space cake might be an excellent idea and how to make one!
What is a Space Cake?
A Space cake or Weed cake is an edible that contains cannabidiol, either within the flour or in the frosting. These have been gaining popularity worldwide as they are an excellent way for beginners to start consuming cannabis. Additionally, since they mix well into cream and sugar, such cakes can satiate your sweet tooth while providing all the benefits of hemp. CBD gummies for anxiety help people worldwide calm their nerves and sleep better. Studies have also shown that consuming such edibles help individuals feel less anxious, regulate stress, eases chronic inflammation, and combats joint pain.
As a result, edibles such as cakes that contain these hemp extracts work as more than an anniversary dessert or sweet. These products can help individuals deal with various ailments, including insomnia, chronic pain, anxiety, and even neurological disorders. Since the 2018 Farm Bill legalized hemp products, manufacturers have introduced new products containing these extracts. As a result, the market now has chocolates, cookies, cakes, pop tarts, and CBD gummies for anxiety and other medicinal purposes. These edibles help make it fun to consume cannabidiol without creating the adverse effects that smoking a joint has on our bodies.
Can we Eat Cannabis or Hemp?
Cannabis, also called marijuana or weed, comprises the dried stems, leaves, flowers, and leaves of the Cannabis Sativa plant. Individuals around the country use these substances for recreational and medicinal purposes. While the most popular ingestion method is through smoking or vaping, the market now offers various products containing cannabis. Of late, edibles containing these hemp extracts have started to gain a footing in the market due to the convenience they offer.
Individuals can eat cannabis or hemp since cannabis-infused foods and drinks have been considered medicinal since 1000 B.C. Medical practitioners in ancient China and India used edible applications containing cannabis to treat various ailments, including digestive troubles and inflammation. Over the years, the edible cannabis market has grown as they are easy to make, consume and ease regularly. Individuals who cook or bake can easily create personalized cannabis products by infusing oil, flour, or butter mixed with hemp extracts into recipes. However, eating raw cannabis will not have the same effect as it needs to undergo decarboxylation to become activated and produce an impact.
What is the importance of Cannabis Decarboxylation?
Raw hemp or cannabis contains acids, such as tetrahydrocannabinolic acid and cannabidiolic acid. When exposed to heat, these compounds transform into their active forms, tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol. Hence, decarboxylation is the process that helps edible substances create the same effect as consuming cannabis via smoking or vaping.
Decarboxylation is vital because the phytochemicals you find in raw cannabis do not produce the same effect as the ones that form once you set your buds ablaze. Those fresh buds are rich in cannabinoid acids which require a heat-driven molecular reaction to become cannabinoids that interact with our receptors and neurotransmitters. The process occurs at temperatures near 110°C and takes roughly 30 to 45 minutes to complete. However, doing so at this temperature also allows you to keep other beneficial compounds, such as aromatic terpenes and phytochemicals, in the buds.
Why Gift your Loved One a CBD Cake?
- The analgesic properties of cannabidiol make it effective in combating chronic pain, helping your loved one with pain management.
- Studies show that cannabidiol can help individuals struggling with anxiety, stress, and depression by calming their nerves.
- Cannabidiol acts as a potent muscle relaxant and improves muscle spasticity, helping gym enthusiasts and athletes recover after a strenuous workout.
- Various studies have shown that hemp extracts help combat nausea and vomiting, along with several other cancer and chemotherapy-related symptoms.
- The FDA has already approved a drug containing hemp extracts for treating a rare form of pediatric epilepsy.
- Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol, CBD does not produce any mind-altering effects making it safe.
- Since CBD cakes use natural and organic ingredients, they do not produce any of the adverse side effects that synthetic drugs do over the long run.
How to Bake a CBD Cake for your Anniversary?
- 8 grams of cannabis buds
- cups of flour
- 1 cup of butter and granulated sugar
- 0.75 cups of milk
- Two eggs
- 1.75 teaspoons of baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon of salt
- Add frosting and flavoring agents of your choice, such as cocoa powder, dried fruits, vanilla extracts, or buttercream.
What to do:
- First, decarboxylate your weed by placing it in an oven at 110°C for around 30 to 40 minutes.
- Next, melt your butter and mix ground cannabis into it to create a cannabutter.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and slowly pour the wet ingredients in one by one while combining everything. Do this until you get a batter with a smooth and even consistency.
- Grease your cake tin, pour the batter in, and spread it evenly.
- Place the mix in an oven pre-heated to 190°C and leave it in for 25 minutes. After the prescribed time, use a skewer to stab the cake’s center. If it comes out dry, your cake is ready to leave the oven. However, if the batter sticks to the skewer, leave it in for another five to ten minutes.
- After the cake is out of the oven, allow it to cool for 20 minutes in the tin. Afterward, remove the pan and let the cake cool for an additional 30 minutes.
- Once completely cooled, decorate the cake as you please using buttercream, frosting, or dried fruits for additional flavor.
When using edibles containing hemp extracts, such as CBD gummies for anxiety, consumers should research the market extensively. First-time users should stick to prescribed dosage recommendations and consult a doctor before consuming any such products. If you do not find any trustable dispensary near you, the best option would be to bake these products yourself, as mentioned above. Not only does this make the gift more personal, but it also allows you to control the dosage or potency of the product directly. The next time you wish to celebrate something, do away with traditional gifts, such as roses and chocolates and do something a bit more exciting. Baking and gifting your loved one a space cake is an excellent way to have a good time and enjoy the myriad of medicinal benefits that cannabis offers. Have you ever baked a CBD edible for your loved one? Let us know your favorite recipes and memories of baking CBD edibles in the comments below!