The Scandinavian interior design style is known for its minimalism, simplicity, and functionality. The goal is to create a peaceful and harmonious environment that is both comfortable and beautiful. Scandi style floors, furniture and accessories are typically chosen for their form and function, rather than for their decorative appeal. This style of design is perfect for those who appreciate clean lines, simple shapes, and natural materials.
The key principles of Scandinavian design are:
Simplicity: This refers to the use of clean lines, uncluttered designs, and a focus on function over form.
Minimalism: This is a style that uses only the essential elements and leaves out anything superfluous.
Functionality: Scandinavian design emphasizes utility and practicality. Designs should be easy to use and serve a specific purpose.
If you want to dive into the world of the Interior design in detail, Home Design Institute has the perfect free online course in interior design for you.
Table of Contents
Add a touch of wood with natural finishes
This style is often inspired by nature, with light colors and simple designs. Scandinavian interiors are perfect for anyone who wants to create a warm and inviting space that feels like home.
There are a few different ways to add wood to your space to get that Scandi look. If you have wooden floors, you can simply add a light coat of sealant or varnish to bring out the natural beauty of the wood. If your flooring is carpeted or tiled, consider adding wooden furniture or accents instead. Tables, chairs, picture frames, and even shelves can all be made from natural wood for a touch of Scandi style.
Another great way to add wood to your space is with wall paneling. Wood paneling can instantly transform any room and give it a more rustic, natural look. If you want to keep things light and airy, go for white or light-colored wood paneling. For a more dramatic look, choose dark-stained wood instead.
So, if you’re looking to add a touch of Scandinavian style to your home, don’t forget to incorporate natural wood finishes! They’ll help create the perfect minimalist look that’s so characteristic of this design style.
Use light colors to brighten up your space
Bright and airy shades can help to open up small spaces and create a feeling of tranquility. Here are a few tips on how to use light colors in your home:
– Choose pale shades for walls and ceilings. Pale shades like white, beige, or gray can make a room feel brighter and more spacious. They also work well with other light colors, so you can mix and match them to create your own unique look.
– Use light colors for furniture and accessories. If you want to add some color to a room but don’t want it to feel too busy, try using light colors for furniture and accessories. For example, you could use a white sofa with pale blue pillows or a light wood coffee table with a white vase on top.
– Let in natural light. One of the best ways to make a space feel brighter is to let in as much natural light as possible. If you have large windows, consider hanging sheer curtains or leaving them undressed altogether. during the day, open up the curtains and let the sunshine in!
– Add mirrors. Mirrors can help to reflect light around a room and make it feel brighter. Try placing a mirror opposite a window to maximize the amount of light in the space.
-Sconces or lamps with light bulbs. Using sconces or lamps with light bulbs can also help to brighten up a space. Choose ones with pale-colored shades to diffused the light and create a warm, inviting glow.
If you are thinking of mixing the Scandinavian simplicity with something chicer, you can find many inspirations for beautiful designs in French Chateau for sale.
Bring in some plants and flowers for a natural touch
While you might not think of plants as being particularly ‘Scandinavian’, there are actually a number of species that are often used in this style of interior design. As well as being aesthetically pleasing, these plants also have some practical benefits; many of them are low-maintenance, easy to care for, and help purify the air.
So, if you’re looking to add a touch of Scandinavian style to your home, why not try one of these plants?
Forsythia: This flowering shrub is a popular choice for Scandinavian gardens, as it blooms in early spring – just when the days start to get longer and the weather starts to warm up. Forsythia is also known for its fragrant flowers, which release a sweet aroma into the air.
Alpine Juniper: This evergreen conifer is a popular choice for Scandinavians because of its low-maintenance nature; it’s hardy and doesn’t need a lot of care or attention. Alpine Juniper also has the added benefit of being able to improve air quality, making it a great choice for homes with allergies or asthma.
Boston Fern: Boston Ferns are one of the most popular houseplants in Scandinavia (and indeed, the world!) thanks to their ability to purify the air and improve humidity levels. They’re also relatively easy to care for, although they do need to be misted regularly.
Peace Lily: Peace Lilies are another popular choice for Scandinavian households, as they’re known for their ability to remove toxins from the air. They’re also very easy to care for; simply place them in bright, indirect light and water them when the soil is dry.
So, there you have it: a few of the best plants for creating a Scandinavian-style home. So why not give one (or more!) of them a try? You might just find that they make your space feel more calm, relaxed, and comfortable.
Choose furniture that is simple and functional
When it comes to Scandinavian design, one of the key elements is choosing furniture that is simple and functional. This allows you to achieve the clean and minimal look that is so characteristic of this style.
Functional furniture doesn’t have to be boring, however. There are many beautiful and stylish pieces that fit the bill perfectly. It’s all about finding the right balance between form and function.
Take a look at our top picks for Scandinavian furniture that is both stylish and functional. You’re sure to find the perfect pieces for your home.
Top Picks for Scandinavian Furniture:
– Ekornes Stressless recliners – These iconic recliners are perfect for achieving a relaxed Scandinavian look in your home. They come in a variety of different styles and colors, so you can find the perfect ones for your space.
– HAY Copenhague dining table – This minimalistic dining table is perfect for those who want a sleek and stylish Scandinavian look in their home. It’s made from high-quality materials and comes in a variety of different sizes.
– Normann Copenhagen Block table – This unique table is a great addition to any home. It’s perfect for use as a dining table, work surface, or even a makeshift desk. It’s simple, yet stylish design makes it perfect for any space.
– Muuto Leaf floor lamp – This elegant floor lamp is a great way to add some Scandinavian style to your home. It’s perfect for use in living rooms, bedrooms, or even offices.
These are just a few of our top picks for Scandinavian furniture. You’re sure to find many more beautiful and functional pieces that fit your style and needs. With a little bit of shopping around, you can easily achieve the perfect Scandinavian look for your home.