We all know what mechanical engineering is. However, when it comes to digital engineering, many questions still stay open. There are many interesting developments, however, their implementation is questioned.
Thus, let us check what the new trends are and what we can expect from the further development of engineering.
Table of Contents
Industry 4.0 and the Internet of Things
There were no doubts that Industry 4.0 and the IoT are the main trends. Combined with high speed actuators, they were supposed to change the world of industry. However, it hasn’t happened yet even though both technologies are available.
What is the problem then?
There are no uniform standards for the application of these technologies. Also, there are no standard solutions. Every enterprise that wants to use them develops its own solutions which are, in most cases, non-compatible with anything else. While it can be convenient for the company to use it, but this is for sure not something standard. Thus, in the future, companies might need to modify these solutions if standards are introduced.
Even though there are many questions in the case of Industry 4.0 and the IoT, we don’t doubt that they will be implemented widely in the future. They might even change the approach to the manufacturing processes completely.
Requirements to Engineers Change
Let us then check some more general trends that don’t require standardization. Or we would rather say that there are some trends that are standard doesn’t matter what requirements are accepted.
Now, when the premises might be located around the world, there is a need for communication and efficient ways to exchange data. Digitalization provides an opportunity to access the needed data via digital capture, special technologies for data exchange, and processing.
Thus, engineers are required now to have basic knowledge of media, digital technologies. Now, we can exchange data on a global level. Engineers collaborate one with another from different locations. Thus, they need to know specific technologies and speak English to be able to communicate with colleagues from different countries.
In short, the main requirements to engineers will be as follows:
- Keep up with the newest technologies. Even though they might be in their infancy stage now, tomorrow, everything can change.
- Coding is an advantage. Of course, every company has IT specialists for the most complex coding task. But if you understand coding, even though those might be the very basics, you can control your projects better.
- Sift skills are a must. Engineers shall be able to understand such things as information simulation, modelling, etc.
- The diverse background is beneficial. We have already mentioned that for many new technologies, no standards are created. Thus, specific solutions are developed for every company. The more diverse background an engineer has, the easier it will be for him/her to learn the solutions.
Other Potential Changes in the Field
Along with the changing requirements to specialists, changes in the technologies are coming. Based on some of the most evident requirements, we would specify the following trends in the development of digital engineering:
- Digital evolution – with cloud technology, the resources to store and process information became almost unlimited. However, even the cloud might become outdated once. Instead, new technologies will come that will provide a higher safety level, speedier processing, a higher storage volume.
- Data unlocking – to work efficiently, an engineer needs to use the data available in the best way. In the future, the priorities will be the same: data capturing and manipulation. However, the technologies of doing it might change significantly to facilitate the processes of data application.
- The fundamental principles of engineering will be enhanced – no, with the advancement of technology, the fundamental engineering principles will not vanish. On the contrary, they will be enhanced by new technologies.
With the advancement of new technologies, more accent is made on collaboration. Thanks to the cloud, engineers have an opportunity to exchange ideas about the smallest details of the project. It, in turn, brings top results.
Digital engineering isn’t something completely new and unclear. Actually, we live in the digital era, thus, everything is connected with digitalization, in one or another way. Engineering isn’t an exception.
Now, the adoption of digital technologies is a must for any enterprise if it wants to stay afloat. Technological advancements allow eliminating plenty of obstacles in communication. In a cloud, engineers can exchange their ideas and offer suggestions in real-time mode. Digitalization allows eliminating borders and distances.
Digitalization means getting out from a closed space and embrace new horizons in technology.
With digitalization, many processes can be automated effortlessly. It means, in turn, less load and stress on human workers. For a company, automation means increased efficiency levels, production boost, savings.
Thus, embracing digitalization is one of the main prerequisites of becoming successful not only for a company but also for its workers.